Regularly-Scheduled Dance Series
BACDS operates many regularly-scheduled dance series on Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday evenings, and the 1st Sunday afternoon. If you live in the greater San Francisco bay area, one of our regular dances is close to you. See the individual series page for start and end times, prices, and maps, or our directions page for an overall area map.
Contra dancing is a simple yet lively social dance form that originated in New England during Revolutionary times. All of our dances are accompanied by top-notch musicians performing music from Irish, English, and American folk traditions and led by dance callers with local and national followings. Contra dances can be found in the following bay area communities:
- Berkeley on the first, third, and fifth Wednesday evenings of each month.
- San Francisco on the first and third Saturday evenings of each month.
- Palo Alto on the second, fourth, and fifth Saturday evenings of each month.
- San Jose on first Sundays afternoons of each month, 2:30 – 5:00.
A thirty-minute newcomer’s welcome and intro class precedes the Palo Alto and San Francisco dances.
If you’ve ever been to a Renaissance Pleasure Faire or seen one of the film or TV adaptations of Jane Austen’s works, you’ve probably seen English country dance. English country dances are social dances that range from the elegant and graceful to the raucous and exuberant. We’re proud to feature some of the nation’s finest dance leaders and musicians at our dances. English country dances can be found in these communities:
- The Peninsula (Palo Alto, previously San Jose, then Mountain View) on the first, third, and fifth Tuesday evenings of each month (with a break from late June through Labor Day). The dance runs from 7:30-9:30 pm.
- Berkeley on the second and fourth Wednesday and fourth Saturday evenings of each month.
- Palo Alto on the first, third, and fifth Friday evenings of each month.
- San Francisco on the second Saturday evening of the month from 7:00-10:00 pm.
- San Jose on third Sunday afternoons of the month, September through June, 2:30 – 5:00.
With the exception of the fourth Saturday dance in Berkeley (which is geared towards the experienced dancer), all of our English dances are appropriate for folks of all dance levels. A short lesson often precedes the Berkeley Wednesday and Palo Alto Friday dance.
BACDS supports a variety of special community dances, including influences from English, Contra, Ceilidh, and related styles, as well as experimental sessions for developing or testing out new dance material.
- The Atherton “Woodshed” series on the second Tuesday of the month from 8:00-10:00pm, a “new material” workshop. All get in FREE!
- Occasional English Ceilidh dances occur from time to time.